Life Hacks for Mediocre Moms #13
Kick Your Killer Habit

by Angie on October 19, 2013

In March of 2011 (that’s 2.5 YEARS ago) I told you guys that I was officially quitting THE COKE. I was walking away from my drug of choice. I had read enough articles about why aspartame, carbonation, and caffeine were bad for me. Really bad!

And then two weeks later I started sippin’ the good juice again.

I quit the Cokie again this past spring. For 2 weeks.

Apparently, it’s really tough to break a diet coke addiction.

Really tough.

But I know I should! And I sorta want to! (As soon as I think that to myself, the devil on my shoulder yells, “No you don’t! You love it! It’s your best friend!”).

But I am fully aware that this bad habit of mine is holding me back from progress. I kinda feel like a drug addict sometimes. That’s not a fun feeling.

So here I go. I’m going for it again. I’m gonna “Kick My Killer Habit”.

(INSTANTLY, my devil-on-the-shoulder says, “But go get another Diet Coke real quick before you start! Savor your last one!”)

Yesterday Charlie and I swung through the drive through on our way to the church building. Except that the church is closer to my house than McDonald’s. We went way out of our way to “get mommy’s drink”. He was like, “Mom. Why we going over here? Why you always get your drink? Why you always thirsty? (eye roll)”

I was all, “You want a little drink of water Charlie? Or a little snack?”

He said, with firmness, “No.” (eye roll)

He’s THREE, people!

What kind of an example am I being?

Quitting Diet Coke is “step one” on my path to eating better, cleansing my body of yucky toxins, and having more control over my “natural man.” I know this killer habit of mine is holding my back on many levels.

I plan to drink lemon essential oil in ice water instead of the my bubbly diet friend. That will be invigorating and also gently cleanse my system.

And for energy boosts/mood help? I’m stocked with three Isagenix products called, “Want More Energy”, “E+ Shot”, and “Isadelights Dark Chocolates.”

Have I ever told you guys about Isagenix before? I’ve used their shakes and cleansing systems a couple of times to gain control of my eating and release toxins and weight. I love it. There products are super smart and super effective.

For more info about Isagenix products, you should see the GoIsaFit Facebook Page. My friend Jennise is the founder of the GoIsaFit group. She’s also a super fit mom of 4, a health and fitness coach, and an incredible example of health and wellness. Check isagenix out.

But this post isn’t about Isagenix. It’s about Diet Coke. And the velcro sound that is heard when somebody tries to pull a large fountain Diet Coke from my hand.

I’m actually scared to try this.

Today’s tip from your nervous friend who is breaking up with her BFF (it’s killing me softly) drink is:

Kick Your Killer Habit

What’s your bad habit? Is it killing you softly? With it’s (sweet, bubbly) song?

Maybe I shouldn’t go cold turkey? Just treat DC as a treat? For when we are out to eat? Or as a Saturday night dessert?

Help mama. I’m weeeeeeak!

20131015-131628.jpg

life hacks for mediocre moms 100

Tawny October 19, 2013 at 9:48 pm

Uuuuhhhhh hem…cough cough! ):

CK October 19, 2013 at 11:57 pm

Why not just use your oils to counter the withdrawal symptoms? Isn’t there one for ‘addiction’ recovery? ;) Infuse your body with nutrients, you can do it! My ‘drug’ of choice used to be breads, but no longer. I don’t like how they make me feel after detoxing my body and infusing with whole food nutrient supplements. Plus I’ve been able to lose more excess weight easier since :) Win-win!

Steph October 20, 2013 at 8:40 am

I’m not much of a soda drinker, and it’s always regular ol’ Coca-Cola Classic for me if I do.

But fun fact! I am 27 years old and only last year did I learn that “aspartame” is not pronounced as ” uh-SPAR-tuh-may.” (Think Dori trying to pronounce “escape” in Finding Nemo.)

Embarassingly hilarious.

Kaelyn October 20, 2013 at 1:09 pm

I had (past tense) stopped drinking Diet Coke for about 2 years by only having it when I was already out with people. If I had made dinner plans with someone I could have it, but I couldn’t go out of my way at all to get it. Eventually I just wanted plain tea or water, because that’s what I was having at home. Then THE monster of college papers came in and kicked my butt and I drank like 10 cans of Diet Pepsi (because in my head I was still giving up Diet Coke) a night until it was finished (which was impressive on my broke college kid budget)… Now I’m hooked on a “new” monster.
Kaelyn recently posted..HEY! I’m back! For a test run!My Profile

Jillian @ Hi! It's Jilly October 20, 2013 at 1:26 pm

You can doooo eeeet!! Goooo, Angie!
Jillian @ Hi! It’s Jilly recently posted..One Direction + Staples = GIVEAWAY!My Profile

Yetunde October 21, 2013 at 3:31 pm

Ah coke, the one habit I just cannot kick. Even when I was pregnant with my twins and watching everything I ate, I still had to get my coca-cola (or occasionally Dr Pepper) fix,
Yetunde recently posted..Choose your poison, but don’t let it kill youMy Profile

Leslie October 21, 2013 at 5:58 pm

I see how it is…you kick the Coke and as a result go into a coma and can’t post for two days. (Only joshin. This is to get you back for insinuating that I prepare my Primary lesson during Sacrament meeting. I draw the line somewhere, and as long as I can finish it and get to church by the *actual* blessing of the {real reason we attend service on Sundays} then I call it good. And also scissors are way too noisy in our chapel. I feel all self-conscious so I just don’t do it. Anymore. And by the way, I really hate being late because of said Primary calling I never know who has new callings or got released if I’m not there for the Ward Business which they do way too early in the meeting if you ask me. Which you didn’t.)

Angie October 22, 2013 at 10:38 am

oh leslie. i was hoping nobody noticed i hadn’t posted for two days. why you gotta be paying attention??!!

i hereby request that all “ward business” should be conducted at the end of sacrament meeting so that those of us dying to know whether “sister johnson got called to ____ like we’ve been asking the bishop for since easter” can have a fair chance of hearing the ward business even though we are always late for church.

do we ask too much?
Angie recently posted..Life Hacks for Mediocre Moms #13 Kick Your Killer Habit My Profile

Leslie October 22, 2013 at 11:04 am

I have absolutely no room to talk because I haven’t blogged since August. I’m really not disappointed. After all, we’re cutting ourselves and others some slack, right?! :D

Leslie October 23, 2013 at 11:28 pm

Oh man, now that I’ve seen your “had a bad day” post I really feel bad for snarking at you. Howsabout some virtual (((hugs)))? I hope you are doing better now.