31 Days: Life Hacks for Mediocre Moms

by Angie on September 27, 2013

life hacks for mediocre moms

“Life Hacks for Mediocre Moms”

That’s what I got. That’s what I need. That’s what’s for dinner.

That’s my “31 Days” Theme. In October I’ll be seeing you here every day and together we will make over my freaking life. (Or we’ll at least give it a mediocre try. Right?)

Life Hack for Mediocre Moms So Far:

#1) Roles, Goals, and Dreams

#2) Bite Size Your Biggies

#3) Do Different

#4) Read Something Weird

#5) Exercise Yourself

#6) Zero Dark Early

#7) Manage Your Moods

#8) The Power of a Good Thing

#9) Church it Up

Guess what… I’m straight up the MOST mediocre mom of 4 kids you’ll ever meet (on the internet). Honest. I really am overwhelmingly mediocre. I’ve never striven to be or imagined myself as a Super Mom. The good news is that I don’t feel compelled to be that nearly-perfect person. I can’t imagine living with that expectation of myself.

However, I know I can do better. And I want to be better and accomplish more than I currently am. I want to clean up my messy life just enough that I can begin to tap into the potential I feel within me for… *more* (…staring into the foggy distance). Let’s not get too detailed here! I’ve gotta keep my dreams a secret in case I suck too much to reach them. :-/

So, whilst announcing the obvious: that I am VERY FAR from perfect, I’d like to state that I know I’m not a total train wreck either. Just so that you know I’m not fishing for compliments like a skinny chick calling herself fat. I do see my own strengths, I’m grateful for my blessings, and I try not to forget my little victories when I’m faced full-on with my weaknesses. And the weakness are plentiful.

Example?

I acknowledge that I’m flexible and spontaneous. I can throw together a fun playgroup activity, snack, and craft for 6 toddlers with an hour’s notice. Did that this week.

But…

I sometimes buy the packs of pre-made cookie dough and just eat the whole thing within a few days. Then I wash it all down with Diet Coke. So, basically, I don’t feed myself very well.

Also:

I am really good at re-designing a space for very little money using what is already on hand/can be made from what’s lying around in my backyard and/or at the thrift store.
night stand
But alas:

Please don’t ask me when I last dusted because I will LIE!!!! (and then I will run downstairs and dust real quickly with my hand/sleeve, get distracted on phone, wash my dusty hands, and head for the cookie dough in the freezer.)

And:

I really like people and love getting a group together. I’m comfortable in a crowd and have an ability to put people at ease. Give me a microphone and I’ll start rapping/jumping ala MC Hammer. It’s only natural.

>>Insert my 11 year-old yelling at full volume, “Stop it mom! You are NOT too legit to quit!!’ This may or may not have happened today outside her first middle school dance.<<

vanilla ice mc hammer ecard funny

However:

If you belong to a pyramid scheme/ home-based sales company and would like to “stop by sometime this week and demonstrate some really amazing new knives” for me (or whatever) then I’d like to kick you in the face instead for making such a poor life choice.

Anyway… here’s the point. I’m doing ok, but I know I could do better. Overall.

I’m smart enough to know what I SHOULD be doing, I just don’t do it consistently. I’m a bit lazy, but really good at procrastinating. (This is a great start to my new, updated resume!)

>>Insert note to potential future employers: Stop reading this blog post and go wash out your eyeballs.<<

Admission: Sometimes I get really down about my lameness. It sounds like this, “I’m really failing at a lot of things! I really suck! I need to stop trying to do good things! I always fail! FAILURRRrrRRE!”

>>Insert head smack and ice cream.<<

My sweet husband? He doesn’t like it when I start yelling, “HASHTAG EPIC FAIL!” and usually responds with a gentle, “I know you can do it! You just need to plan a little better, babe!”

So in October, I am challenging myself to doing waaaay better. I’m gonna plan! I am going to DO my best to do the SHOULD things. I am going to turn the SHOULDS into CANS and WILLS. It’s like a infomercial/psycho-therapy/good-two-shoes experiment, for goodness sakes!

What will this look like? Um… I will exercise 5 days a week. I will wash my face every night. I will drink LESS Diet Coke. I will study my scriptures daily and pray on my knees to my heart’s content (#ImgoingtoneedHishelp). I will take my vitamins. I will face discouragement, battle through it, and forgive myself. I will say no to (most) cookies. I will say no to illegal drugs. I will say no to jeggings.

Just checking to see if you guys are still listening. Duh on those last two.

>>Insert Angie taking a break to laugh really hard.<<

I’m going to apply some really smart, sound “Life Hacks” to my Mediocre Mom Life in October and I’d like to invite you guys to join me. Or laugh at me. Or tell me how overzealous I am for doing this PAINFULLY GOOD thing to myself. Send love notes?

I’m hoping that this little “Life Improvement” experiment will be a HUGE blessing to me and my family. I’ll record how it goes each day so that we can hug about it if we need to. And I’ll definitely be asking for your help in my moments of weakness/cravings/laziness via Facebook and Instagram. Please steer me away from the chocolate chips every day at 1:00 p.m.

Confession: I’m sorta afraid to fail super hard at this, guys. Both the 31 straight days of blogging and the Life Hacks for Mediocre Moms. But let’s just go for it.

>>Insert cheerleading kicks and super happy clapping/belly rolls on un-mopped floors/possible nervous flatulence.<<

See you on TEN ONE, bruthas.
life hacks for mediocre moms 100

(linking this post up to The Nester’s 31 days party, m’kay?)

Cheryl @ The Creative Me and My McG September 27, 2013 at 7:52 am

I think we all get in this frame of mind sometimes…I know I do – my kids are grown now, but I wasn’t the playdate kind of Mom…I didn’t bake cookies very often with my kids..because let’s face it – the clean up was more than I was willing to do…I know – I won’t win the greatest Mom award…but my kids still think I’m pretty cool…so I guess that’s a win!
I will be following along…offering support – WOO HOO!! and cheerleading when I can!
Cheryl @ The Creative Me and My McG recently posted..Adding Fall Touches to our HomeMy Profile

Angie September 27, 2013 at 8:12 am

Cheryl, thanks so much for the woo hoo!!! Guess what? We make cookies a lot because I like cookies. Just kidding I LOOOOVE cookies. And I’m IN LOVE cookie dough. But we should bake less, because that yumminess is so bad for our waistlines around here and also– that mess? Takes me more than 12 hours to clean up, because of the aforementioned laziness. Anywho– thanks for cheerleading me on. Please come back and say that WOO HOO every single day! I’ll be looking for it!

Tessa September 27, 2013 at 10:37 am

Yay! I’m so excited for this. You can do it!

Angie September 27, 2013 at 1:49 pm

THANKS, TESSA! Your comment truly is encouraging!!!!! Now for the real dilemma: I’ve got an hour before the kids start coming in the door. Do i run on the treadmill and shower or sit down to write a blog post? See how hard this is going to be?????? ahhhh!!!!

Heidi September 27, 2013 at 1:07 pm

I don’t dust and I don’t apologize. If it ever comes to it, I’ll just donate it all by the boxfull. Which is even better than dusting! Also? If I washed my face every night, I’d have to apply twice as much moisturizer and STILL have dry skin :( >:( So I don’t do that either. Also again? You’ve got great plans! And you’ve got great execution! And a great, great sense of humor, which is better than both!

I’m looking forward to your series!! Whatever the content, it will be Angie, and I LOVE reading Angie!!
Heidi recently posted..The BeeMy Profile

Shannon September 27, 2013 at 1:11 pm

Thanks for the fabulous post, and for keeping it real. You hit the nail on the head- it’s not about being a perfect mom (they don’t exist), but about trying to do a little better each day. I recently realized I need to STOP pinning things to do, and actually DO them. Good luck on your month of posting- I’ll be reading!

Angie September 27, 2013 at 1:48 pm

THANKS, SHANNON! Pinterest. So fun. So dumb. Just smile at people. That makes everything better. Thanks for the support!!

Mindi Stavish September 27, 2013 at 2:29 pm

I don’t have anything deep to say. Just wanted to say I AM SO GLAD your back to blogging!!!! I missed your posts!! Love your writing style and craziness (in a good sorta crazy!). Go you on the 31 day challenge.

stacey September 27, 2013 at 4:25 pm

AAAhhh, Angie you have me in stitches as usual. Oh man, did you just described me. You see, I have a confession to make, I, too, am a procrastinating, mediocre mom. Since going back to work it has gotten so much worse no to mention the hubby is living/working 5 hours away. To bring home decent ‘mula’ for the family. So I, basically am left to fend for myself and the kiddos. and the house stuff, and the bill stuff. I’m so tired, I can’t get out of my own way. So, I’ve been trying to devise a plan to get things done, whether I want to, or not! My plan, do one task a day, and two loads of laundry (until caught up) with the exceptions of Thursdays, and weekends. Thursdays are super physical at work and well, It’s no fun to work on the weekends, let’s face it. Tasks would be, cleaning under the sink, cleaning out the pantry etc.
Now, if I can stop procrastinating long enough to make my task list, I could get started. Good luck, I’ll be cheering you on!!

Sincerely,
Stacey, from what used to be Flickerwhips blog

Stephanie September 30, 2013 at 4:24 pm

So glad you’re back in business! I’m you instagram BFF/stalker, btw. Truth: I don’t get terribly excited about 31 Days, BUT to be promised this many posts from my favorite – count me in! Great topic. Very relatable. I think (hope?) we can all admit to a degree of mediocrity.

Jessi September 30, 2013 at 5:09 pm

You had me at “Too legit to quit”…

I found the blog through our practice link ups at thenester. I started following that day. Here we go, October!

veggie mama September 30, 2013 at 8:36 pm

You had me at MC Hammer!

Jana October 1, 2013 at 2:33 am

Found your blog via thenester – and so glad I did!
Jana recently posted..31 Days of 31 DaysMy Profile

AdenaF October 1, 2013 at 10:04 am

Definitely following this one!! I am a professional procrastinator and when I decide to make a change, it’s all or nothing. I can’t do the gradual thing. Of course, few actually stick. btw, confession time: I’ve also been known to try to rap (any my kids also tell me to stop) and I actually googled “jeggings” LOL
AdenaF recently posted..List Making: Day 1, If You Weren’t AfraidMy Profile

Angie @ Angies Roost October 2, 2013 at 9:31 am

My Craig and Arianna is out in full force cheering you on! Go Spartans…I mean…ANGIE!!
Angie @ Angies Roost recently posted..That’s Our Old House In This Old HouseMy Profile