Project Red Stools vs. Universe

by Angie on March 21, 2012

The Forces That Be are conspiring against me. Usually it’s just me conspiring against myself (hello, procrastination) but not this week. Nope. THE UNIVERSE hates my barstools.
We’ve talked about how I started a little remodel of my red barstools on Thanksgiving. Can we look at last year’s calendar and remember that Thanksgiving was on November 24th? That was four months ago.
For four months, my kids have been literally screaming at me, “PLEASE STAPLE THESE SEATS BACK ON!!!” (“Honey, they don’t get stapled back on, they get screwed back in. Stop yelling at me. Pick yourself and your seat off the floor, and eat your breakfast….”)Yeah, we’ve been using barstools with the seats just perched haphazardly in their spots for about 120 days now.
This project has tortured me a bit. It’s all the coats of paint required, I think.  I pretended that they were done a few weeks ago, but they needed another coat of paint and a clear coat sealant of some sort. Not hard. Nope. I just simply had grown tired of the project and didn’t want to do it.
laminated fabric bar stools seat cushions red
Hmmm… fine, that’s great, but then I started avoiding the main floor of my house entirely because I didn’t want to face my procrastination anymore. I had the bedrooms all clean, beds made, floors vacuumed upstairs, etc., but the main floor had settled into disarray. Just because of the barstools.
Plus, I have declared that I can’t start any new projects until the barstools and stairs are done. The deadline I had set for their completion was February 29th. We are now living on borrowed time. Cheating the system! It is torturous to not start any more projects. (These are real 1st world problems, no? Seriously, the things I complain about…)
recovering seats angie seriouslyahomemaker
Well, no more. On Monday I decided that THE DAY had come. After I booted the kids out the door to school, I grabbed hold of those stools and dragged them out to the back porch. I retrieved my full gallon of red Benjamin Moore Metal and Wood Enamel paint from it’s semi-permanent perch on the kitchen counter. I stirred the paint with a big ol’ paint stick, pulled out a trusty paint brush, and went at it!
red bar stools
After painting 2 stools, the phone rang. It was a woman from the kids’ school, nagging me about some paperwork that I had also been avoiding. While talking to her, I walked into the house to find the paperwork. Ten seconds later, I discovered that Charlie had taken the BIG paint stick out of the BIG gallon of red paint and artfully drizzled paint all over the deck!
I hung up on the nagger, scolded Charlie, set him aside from the paint, and said, “Stay right here! Don’t move!” He had also painted himself and was mad about that. Duh. But the DECK, Buddy, I had to wet that right away and scrub it with a fine sanding block NOW before the color set in! (Can we remember that this is a SUPER expensive, super adherent enamel paint?)
paint on deck
I ran through the house to the front porch to grab the hose and pull it around to the back porch. Before I could get the hose unwound from the reel, I heard little crying footsteps from inside the house. They were moving toward me.
CHARLIE WALKED ALL THE WAY FROM THE BACK DOOR TO THE FRONT DOOR WITH PAINTED RED FEET.
See? Universe. Conspiring. Project from Hell.
Needless to say, the day didn’t go as I had planned. I spent a bunch of time scrubbing the deck, scrubbing my little baby-bo, and scrubbing the floors in the house. THANK GOODNESS WE DON’T HAVE ANY CARPET ON THE MAIN FLOOR!
Once we were all clean, Charlie and I hopped in the car, hit the drive-through for therapy, pulled some weeds out front, then settled him in for a long winter’s nap. Except that it’s Spring.
Did I give up? NO SENSAI! Defeat does not exist in this Dojo.
red bar stools painted
I hit those barstools with their last coats of paint and sealant. By nightfall, I was done!!!
And the crowd goes wild! ahhhhh! {cheering, applauding, wonderment}
It was almost like the universe wanted to slap me upside the face for waiting so long on that dang project.
Last night I screwed the seats back in. They are done. I will miss that project and the way it hated me. I will.
NOT.
I know I am a rare bird when it comes to dragging things out… but please, tell me I am not completely alone? Also, tell me what my problem is.
Dear readers, I promise not to talk about the barstools again. ever. and never die forever again. The end.
wipeable bar stool seats laminated fabric
But first, did we mention that the seats are wipe-able laminated fabric? They should be rocking your world.

linking here:

Alissazaal March 21, 2012 at 9:26 am

This is awesome! Haha what a fun post, and you did great on those bars tools! Husband and I just recovered ours, but nothing special or fancy, or even entertaining like this! Love it Angie! You crack me up

Natalie@FourJedis March 21, 2012 at 9:33 am

First off, they look beautiful.  I absolutely love them.  Glad you finished them.  I have had a very easy craft that I started 4 months ago (that should have taken 1 hour tops) still sitting on my dining room table waiting for the final 10 minutes of time to complete them… It's sad.  You're not alone.

Celia March 21, 2012 at 9:43 am

The first thought that I had when I saw the stools on the deck was, "There will be red paint on the deck before she is done!" The second thing I thought was, "My Charlie would have done the exact same thing." The third thought was, "I wonder if her drive through therapy was a diet coke…" My fourth thought was, "Red chair, 'project from hell' …how fitting!"

The chairs looks great! You are done! What's next? :)

Ange March 21, 2012 at 10:04 am

Oh man!  Charlie running through the house with his feet had me scared to read on but thankfully it sounds like it turned out ok.  I was laughing, we had the same thing going on here, guests would sit on the stool seats that were not fastenened and then fall through, oops!  Finally we recovered them, they are still ugly.  Yours are so cute, even if it did take you many  months to complete them!  Have a great day and thanks for the laugh this morning!

SimplyStavish March 21, 2012 at 10:34 am

They are fantastic!!! Wow what a process to finish them.  Ummm can I have some of that wipeable laminate all over my house please?  Like on my couch, chairs, carpets.  It would be great with a preschooler and toddler running around!

Cassie March 21, 2012 at 10:44 am

nothing ever goes as easily as it should, but you know what?  it builds character.  bahaha!  maybe it makes you appreciate the stools more. ;) they are frickin awesome.

seriouslyahomemaker March 21, 2012 at 1:53 pm

thanks, alissa! they are fun, right? they are really the first things people see when when head down the hallway into our main living area, so i love that they make a nice focal point. and also, that they are done. have i said that yet?

seriouslyahomemaker March 21, 2012 at 1:54 pm

i am so glad to not be alone. how about today is YOUR day? we shall call it NATALIE day and we shall all watch you finish your craft.

ps. i hate the word craft. why? i don't know.

seriouslyahomemaker March 21, 2012 at 1:55 pm

you had a lot of good thoughts. you are a good thinker.

and yes, diet coke is therapy. i am the worst quitter ever in the history of attempted quitters.

next? the stairs and massive yard work project. fun times.

seriouslyahomemaker March 21, 2012 at 1:57 pm

when i first put the big countertop on the island, we didn't screw it into the island cabinets for a long time. so, we would invite people over and inevitably a 35 year old grown man would lean on the counter and when it moved, he would almost fall or feel like the sky was falling. embarrassing moment for him. fun moment for us all!

you and i are GREAT hostesses! we know how to start a conversation, right?! party games no extra cost!

seriouslyahomemaker March 21, 2012 at 1:58 pm

i know, right? it reminds me of the Everybody Loves Raymond episode with the plastic covers on the furniture. but i swear- this fabric isn't sticky or thick!! you should totally upholstery the carpets and couches in it! and the kids too! :-)

seriouslyahomemaker March 21, 2012 at 1:58 pm

hey, thanks! girl, are we getting together this weekend? i've been meaning to email ya'll! i'll do that now!

Mortylady March 21, 2012 at 3:22 pm

I'm kind of a "lurker" here on your blog but I wanted to let you know you are definitely not alone! Last summer I painted my boys' room with this really elaborate green hills and blue sky with clouds and a tree in the corner and a sun around the light that I am really proud of. I didn't paint the window trims so I have to keep them covered. Instead of making curtains I have a big scrap of fabric on one and a blanket on the other. By the way, both of those are held up with thumb tacks!

From there we go to our gorgeous laminate wood flooring we put in in October. It looks gorgeous until you get to our little hallway spot. (Really, it's the the little area that connects the whole house. We have a pretty small house.) It's such a weird shape that I just can't get myself to finish it up. It's going to take a lot of very precise cutting and trimming. Then I can't figure out how I'm going to do baseboards for it because of the weird shape they are. That's what you get when you live in a house built in the 40's! And they won't pry off without taking half the wall with them. We also haven't finished all the other baseboards because they are complicated too and we ran out of money so that was put on the back burner.

And our living room… it is also gorgeous but I haven't gotten the fan blades painted and put back up, most of the baseboard is on but I'm going to have to redo some of it because it doesn't quite fit. There is also a big gap by the door because the house was built a little weird. Again… 40's construction.

Ok… now I'm exhausted. I actually could go on. But don't feel badly! Even if you procrastinated one thing you still inspire me! Sorry for just lurking, but I love your blog. I just don't usually have anything to say. :)

Jennifer Nace March 21, 2012 at 3:49 pm

I love those barstools, even if they did torture you.

Ange March 21, 2012 at 5:39 pm

Lol!  I love that!  We are awesome hostesses.

Ali March 21, 2012 at 5:44 pm

Nah, it's just you!
Actually, it's a good thing you haven't been to our house. There's a spot where the baseboard is missing from our install-a-door-so-we-have-privacy-before-my-brother-comes-to-live-with-us-next-week project…from 2.5 years ago. I hate when I'm DONE with a project before it's actually completed. Congrats on wrapping up your demon!

Natalie March 21, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Woot!  Way to go, Angie!
…and I am sorry that I laughed at the red footprints in the house…
…it isn't funny…
…wait, it is…

Andrea March 21, 2012 at 10:20 pm

OH MY LANTA! way to go out with a bang!  i have company coming friday and hosting a baby shower and i have no less than six projects i started this week and need to finish…

momeinstein March 22, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Hahaha. The only thing missing from this post is a picture of red footprints. I'm glad you finally got the project finished!

Tee Jay March 29, 2012 at 1:36 pm

hahahaha! LOVE this post!!!
   ….. "but please, tell me I am not completely alone? Also, tell me what my problem is."       Okay……
First, let me say this:  Yesterday I put the third and final coat of poly on my credenza.  The beautiful solid-wood Thomasville credenza that I bought off Craigslist before I moved from Ind. to Tn 4 years ago…..which was around the time I *started* the project.   Does that tell you anything?  LOL  No, you DEF are not the only one.  It's a way of LIFE for me to have projects that are 90% done, then I get tired of them and ….. they sit.  and sit.  and sit.   And I hate it, too… knowing that it's 90% done, wouldn't take much to finish it, but just can't bring myself to do it.

Why?   It's personality.  No, really, it IS.  I swear.  I've been into personality profiling for years, and it's surprisingly accurate.  We are in that group of people whose personality looks mostly at the *finished product*.  We have the idea, and we want to see it happen, but we get bored with ALL THE LITTLE DETAILS that are required to make it happen.  I have gorgeous big black pic frames I got on clearance for almost nothing from Kirklands, still sitting in my extra bedroom, even though I have pics for them, and they'd look GREAT on my wall…. I don't wanna do all the measuring, putting the hangers on the wall, etc…..  LOL   And many more projects just like that!

Errr……. was that a rhetorical question?????    hahahahahaha       LOVE your blog, keep up the great work!  LOVE LOVE LOVE those stools!!!

seriouslyahomemaker March 29, 2012 at 2:43 pm

tee jay, you are AWESOME! thank you for my dose of introspective personality analysis today! all i need to know is that something could look great, and then to buy all it's components. once i see it coming together and i KNOW it will look nice, i lose interest. the joy is in the discovery and creation. bah. this is something i've GOT to work on!

are you here from sarah's link party, teejay?? don't be a stranger! come back!

Colleen March 29, 2012 at 5:09 pm

This is my first time here, so glad I found your blog. The chairs are gorgeous! I am seriously rethinking painting mine white after seeing yours and some turquoise ones today… colour is definitely a lot more fun!

seriouslyahomemaker March 29, 2012 at 9:17 pm

color is WAY more fun than a wood tone for pieces of furniture that are so central, visually, in the house. if you go with white, do me a favor and use a GREAT fun fabric (LAMINATED!!!). I want to see! so glad you found me today! don't be a stranger, come back!