Barn Wood Head Board with Built-in Lamp

by Angie on January 20, 2012

My parents are here visiting for a couple of days. THEY HAVE ARRIVED. My sister and her family will arrive tonight and stay 10 days. THEY WILL ARRIVE.
But more importantly, above all else, I realized this morning that WE HAVE ARRIVED. We are official. We are the real deal. Perhaps… I could even say that we have grown up!
Why? How? Because we have an actual guest bedroom with real guest bed. Not only that, but somehow we have 3 vehicles. So, technically, WE HAVE A GUEST CAR TOO!
I don’t really know why it took us so long to get to this point of maturity. Oh, wait, yes I do! Because for the first 10 years of our marriage we were poor students with a growing family and moved 14 times. Seriously!
Anyhow, I had lots of fun snazzing up the guest room for our visitors. (Mostly I just painted the walls and made this lighted head board). Here are the inspiration photos that I used to create my plan:
headboard marriage[3]
These bed images are from here and here.
I toyed with painting the wood and then chipping/sanding it off like in the first photo, but I decided that the wood was beautiful and aged and gray enough as it. (Ok, really, I was just scared to mess it up and hate it!)
Shall we just use pictures to describe the rest? Yes:
I should have installed it behind the boards and cut a hole similar to the outlet hole…
but I didn’t. This is all hidden by the mattress anyway.
DSC06083
And that is how I did it! If you buy me some Diet Coke and make me laugh (and let me sleep in your guest room) I’ll come over and help you build one too!
Price Breakdown:
11 pieces of old wood from Habitat for Humanity ReStore: $22
Lamp on clearance rack at Lowe’s or HD: $10
Lamp Cord Kit: $6
Dimma Switch from Ikea: $8
Box of Screws: $10
TOTAL COST: $56
And remember? I got the bed for only $50! Suh-weet!
If you have any questions, ask me in the comments.

Barn Wood Head Board with Built-in Lamp

New here? See how I hid our flatscreen’s cords INSIDE some fancy trim work here:

And my kids’ room’s make-overs here:

(Sam’s Turquoise Room)

And here:

(Holly and Logan’s Room)

These days I am working on staining and painting our stairs. But I am REALLY good at distracting myself with silly craft projects instead of finishing!

valentine garlands

Stay tuned for the stair project reveal soon!

{smooches!} -Angie

Jennifer Hammock January 20, 2012 at 12:19 pm

It looks amazing! I never doubted you!

FourJedis January 20, 2012 at 1:38 pm

I love that.  I want one in my master bedroom!!  I'll buy you a whole 2-liter of Diet Coke!

cassie January 20, 2012 at 1:52 pm

that is fabulous, but that yellow light puts it over the top!

seriouslyahomemaker January 20, 2012 at 10:09 pm

wow! that's an offer i can't refuse!

seriouslyahomemaker January 20, 2012 at 10:10 pm

thanks, jennifer! when are you coming to stay?

seriouslyahomemaker January 20, 2012 at 10:11 pm

i know, right? it was originally oil rubbed bronze, which i liked and my husband LOVED (but he doesn't get to have opinions on projects he doesn't help with :-). I had doubters for sure when i painted it yellow. THANKS FOR BACKING ME UP AND SPEAKING THE GOSPEL TRUTH! :-)

seriouslyahomemaker January 20, 2012 at 10:11 pm

actually, he doesn't really get to have opinions on projects he helps with either :-)

Lauren January 21, 2012 at 9:59 am

Roo sent me your way because she knew I would love this! This looks SO GREAT! Love how you distressed the lamp a bit too :) Great job!

Lauren @ http://www.fromourhidingplace.com

seriouslyahomemaker January 21, 2012 at 10:02 am

Thanks, Lauren! I am glad roo hooked us up! I agree that the lamp makes the whole thing noteworthy. I'm going to hop over to your blog now and we can talk about roo behind her back n stuff, m'kay?

Misti January 23, 2012 at 12:30 am

You are amazing! Come help me!

Jules January 23, 2012 at 9:10 pm

I'm guessing with a name like "dimma" that it allows you to dim the light? I haven't seen this product before. Does it work on any plug-in light?

seriouslyahomemaker January 23, 2012 at 9:19 pm

Yes, it does! This is a great little dimmer converter from Ikea. See this post:
http://www.seriouslyahomemaker.com/2011/04/unisex-kids-room-details-part-1.html for more details on how i've used it in my house.

Jules January 24, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Thanks!

LoveFeast January 28, 2012 at 11:38 am

You never cease to amaze me!! ~Kristin

seriouslyahomemaker January 28, 2012 at 3:15 pm

thanks, Kristin! when can we get together again?!!! i love you guys :-)

Jackie January 28, 2012 at 5:50 pm

I love the headboard with the light. It looks amazing.

Shannon January 28, 2012 at 7:16 pm

Seriously picking my jaw up off the floor. AMAZING!

Angie @ seriously a homemaker January 29, 2012 at 7:51 am

Thanks so much, Jackie! Your encouragement is worth a lot to me!

Angie @ seriously a homemaker January 29, 2012 at 7:55 am

Shannon, it really was just so easy! If you are ok with putting 40 gajillian holes in your wall, you should make one too! Thanks for commenting, it really sets you apart from the crowd :-)

Angie @ seriouslyahomemaker January 29, 2012 at 7:58 am

No probs, misti! What are cousins (in-law) for?!

Amgretsch January 29, 2012 at 10:44 pm

SO I just love this idea! I am wondering how you attached the wood, whether you used nails or wood glue? I think this would look great (and affordable) in our bedroom. Thanks for the info

seriouslyahomemaker January 29, 2012 at 11:00 pm

I used 3 inch wood screws. They were self-drilling and required a special bit for the drill. I only put 4 screws in each board, two on each end. I would locate the studs, and drill into those, somehow making it all symmetrical. If you build one, email me!

Cheryl January 31, 2012 at 10:39 am

Great project…the price is right AND it looks fabulous!

Do you mind a question that is not related to the bed itself?  Do you have a source for the pillow fabrics?  My daughter has been looking for some red/aqua patterns for her bedroom makeover…and they have been as scarce as hen's teeth!  We must not be looking in the right places.

heaven's walk January 31, 2012 at 7:33 pm

LUV that bed!  What a creative idea! You done good, girlie!  :)

xoxo laurie

seriouslyahomemaker January 31, 2012 at 7:41 pm

thanks!!!

Erica Hyatt February 1, 2012 at 12:37 pm

Love it, will be making one for my son in the next few weeks!  So did Habitat just have the wood laying around?  I don't remember ever seeing any wood laying around at our Habitat, or do I need to ask them if they have scrap wood?  Thanks!!

seriouslyahomemaker February 1, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Erica, our hfh restore has two levels. In the basement they have all their flooring, doors, Windows, etc and there is a whole section of boards- whether fencing or deck peices or lumber… That's where I found it! I want to see your finished product, k? Go for it!

Erica Hyatt February 1, 2012 at 3:01 pm

Laine Chambers February 1, 2012 at 10:41 pm

This is awesome!  I LOVE it!!!  That yellow lamp is so fun.  What color is it by the way?

Homemakeronadime February 1, 2012 at 11:40 pm

Hi! I pinned this on Pinterest, posted on fb, and featured at Creative DIYers Club. Please feel free to grab the feature button :)

seriouslyahomemaker February 1, 2012 at 11:49 pm

thanks for all the LOVE! i am feelin' it! As a fellow blogger, you know the friendly impact that pinning and fb-ing has on a fellow-blogger, so you must know how grateful I am! thanks for the feature, too… now THAT'S over the top!

seriouslyahomemaker February 1, 2012 at 11:51 pm

um… do you realize that me telling you the color would probably require me going downstairs and looking? and then perhaps not finding the spray paint bottle down there? then i'd come back up and head to the garage… and… wow! that sounds tiring! :) It's a Rustoleum paint that I got at wal-mart. When i remember to glance at the can, i'll comment to you again, k?! Thanks for the love, Laine!

diane streicher February 9, 2012 at 11:19 pm

This is soooo crazy adorable. The rustic wood multiplied by the yellow utility lamp, raised to the power of those screaming cute red pillows equals mad love for this bed. I'm Pinning and posting this everywhere I turn..thanks for inspiring me!

seriouslyahomemaker February 9, 2012 at 11:23 pm

Diane, I am loving the love this comment is giving me! U know how to make a Blogger feel like a rockstar! Pin! Fb! Blog! U da best!

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. February 19, 2012 at 8:51 am

Oh my goodness, that is so awesome!

Stacie Williams February 20, 2012 at 5:28 pm

It was love at first site…had to pin it!  You ROCK.  ;-)

Mahnita February 21, 2012 at 8:31 am

I loved it and laughed a lot about the diet coke part :) congrats…!

Joanne March 5, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Love this project! I love you point out how you "shoulda" mounted the wire afterwards. Sounds like me. I tackle a few home projects on my blog here and there and really like to read about this stuff. I have recently seen the reclaimed barn wood turn up in kitchen accents and love it.

Mrspence88 April 6, 2012 at 8:24 pm

i just discover your blog the other day and i LOVE it when i saw your unisex kids room i was like "a woman after my own heart" it looks super similar to whats happening in my boys room currently! ANYWAYS im a super nervous DIYer and i was wondering if you could give me more details on the construction of the headboard… i'd love to make one for my master

Comments on this entry are closed.

{ 3 trackbacks }