Unisex Kids Room Makeover

by Angie on April 26, 2011

Let’s just do pictures today, ok? We’ll talk deets next time.

(Update: first round of details to be found here).
(Creative Storage Solutions in the Kid’s Room: Functional Gallery Wall to be found here.)

But before I get going on this picture-heavy post, I’d like to address the fact that I haven’t finished a very important project in the kids’ room yet- I am planning to frame out a big initial over each bed. A big ol’ “H” and a big ol “L”. These will be very cool. They will make a great focal point on the main wall and provide symmetry and individuality at the same time. The kids are very excited about their letters- I just need to make/buy frames and do the dang project. Like this—>

with initials
Nevertheless, I didn’t want to leave you all hanging any more (let’s pretend that you were hanging). Here is the kids’ room!

IMG_1385
IMG_1371
IMG_1374
IMG_1375
IMG_1388
IMG_1389
IMG_1391

And for comparison, here is the before:

IMG_0713
IMG_0714
IMG_0715

I hope you like it! I actually, it doesn’t matter if you do. (Yes it does.) Let’s pretend like I don’t care what you think. (I do.) Ok? I think it’s yummy, especially at night with the red lights on. I just stand in the doorway and… stand in the doorway. And look at it.

Also, if you are the lovely reader who emailed me about your chain-link fence, I somehow deleted the email and am so sorry I never got back to you. I am pretty sure I know who you are, but in fear of calling out the wrong person, I am stating anonymously that I think the black and brown would look really nice! And also, I want your house. On your lot. With those mountains. And that fence.

The end.

Jenn Gray April 26, 2011 at 7:49 am

Wow Angie!!! This looks fantastic! Now come do mine ;D

Roo {NiceGirlNotes} April 26, 2011 at 8:31 am

Ang, it's gorgeous! And I love it! And I want details, LIKE, NOW!

Machelle April 26, 2011 at 8:40 am

OH I really do like it!! How did you make those lights over their beds??? Are they wired?? Can I do something like this in pink/purple!? TEACH ME!

Also, question. Are you going to always make them share a room?? How are you going to do this as teenagers? I am only asking because my girls' will probably have to always share a room but I am wondering how you are handling it….do they mind?? I have to mentally prepare what I will say when they are a little older.

gma April 26, 2011 at 8:47 am

Ang, you really need a cute quilt to go in there! j/k love it. you did such a good job. BTW where did the dresser go?

seriouslyahomemaker April 26, 2011 at 9:03 am

the quilt will tie it all together so nicely, mom! can't wait! the dresser
is in the closet. i will show you all my creative storage solutions
tomorrow! thanks for taking the time to comment, mommy. :-)

seriouslyahomemaker April 26, 2011 at 9:04 am

thanks, Jen! I'm sure you can top this design at your house. i relied
heavily on Ikea. You can rely heavily on Jerome.

seriouslyahomemaker April 26, 2011 at 9:04 am

be patient, my child. details tomorrow is the day for.

seriouslyahomemaker April 26, 2011 at 9:10 am

machelle, these are ikea lights. they have such a sweet set-up. i'll show
you tomorrow how i hung them.

the kids that share this room are my 7-year old son and my 5-year old
daughter. They won't always share a room, but right now they are the best
fit for the "sharers." they get along well and don't nap and are generally
easy to get along with. they are old enough, though to not want to be nekked
in front of each other, so they take their clothes into the bathroom to get
dressed.

i think since your kids are both girls and twins, they should just know that
they will always share a room. you should just tell them that all twins
share rooms and that that's what makes it so fun! ingrain it in them!

the very coolest collection of "shared rooms" ideas can be found at The
Inspired Room:
http://theinspiredroom.net/2009/08/11/childrens-bedroom-sharing-space/ The
spaces there are all gender-neutral, which is why i liked them, but you
could use these ideas in your pink/purple mode.

have fun!

Cassie April 26, 2011 at 10:25 am

angie, that looks amazing! i love the colors and all the elemts in the room. and the letters will look great, too!

Jayma Mears April 26, 2011 at 10:33 am

I LOVE the detail on the closet! So unique. I love the makeover!

Em{Inspired Coincidences} April 26, 2011 at 12:35 pm

awesome job! I love the ABC framed print!!!

Dishes_Laundry April 26, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Awesome! How old are your two that share a room?

buriedwithchildren April 26, 2011 at 2:10 pm

This room is absolutely gorgeous! Can you come and decorate my house?

Amy@mysunshineshere April 26, 2011 at 3:06 pm

Looks awesome!!!

Catherine Douglas April 26, 2011 at 9:14 pm

It's beautiful, Ang!!! Love it! Now come do my kids' rooms. :)

c April 26, 2011 at 11:28 pm

You always amaze me! LOVE LOVE LOVE the use of clothes-pins for haning up works of art, I probably will steal that idea one day! I also think the license plates are fabulous – are they yours? Thanks for sharing, can't wait for the secrets on how to do it.

Kyliabarabash April 27, 2011 at 7:26 am

WOWZA! I've said it 100 times before… and I'll say it again, you are AMAZING! I don't know how you do it all! You can rock the red carpet and the red paint – you truly are a rock star!

melissa*320 sycamore April 27, 2011 at 10:32 pm

Angie~ this is so great! I LOVE the stripes and the closet. So glad the license plates have a good home :)