Diet Coke and I Are Breaking Up

by Angie on March 21, 2011

I have decided to break up with Diet Coke.

diet coke

I’ll give you a  minute to let that soak in.
And now I will tell you how this broken relationship started in the first place:

I never ever never liked cola my whole entire life forever cross my heart. UNTIL: I was pregnant with baby #4 in 2009. I was crafting late at night with Andrea D. and Kris B. (hi, ladies!). Kris offered us Coke of some form. It had me at hello! It tasted so refreshing and I fell in love.

And then my Obstetrician told me that I really shouldn’t drink anything caffeinated while pregnant. So I didn’t drink anymore of it. UNTIL:  I pushed that little darling baby boy OUT and drove through McDonald’s on my way home from the hospital- ordering a large 32 ouncer. Just kidding.

But basically, yeah, ordering a large Diet Coke from my McDonalds every afternoon is how I dealt with fatigue after having the baby. I hate to admit that I was there almost every day. Sometimes more than once, if I happened to be driving past again later in the day… Or if I decided to run an errand that coincidentally put McDonalds right in front of my face.

This is when I also fell in love with McDonald’s oatmeal. And became life-long buddies with Nana, my drive-through friend.

mcdonalds employee nana 1

Me to the manager: I just love your oatmeal.

Manager: Thank you!

Me: Also, I just love having Nana in the drive-through. He makes me smile and I probably order more when he is working the window. You should give him a raise! And NEVER take him out of the drive-through.

And then they promoted him to assistant manager, sent him away to another franchise for training, and when he returned, looking all handsome in his tie, he was never in the drive-through. And he hated his job. What the? I haven’t seen him in over a week and I know he is probably thinking that I’ve died.

Anyway, back to Diet Coke. I never buy it from the grocery store. Never in cans. Never in liters or 2-liters. Always from the McD’s drive-through. Think of how that has impacted my wallet over the past 18 months. Don’t tell my husband about that thought you just had.

I will say this: I am addicted. But not just to the caffeine. (I did the math: A large Diet Coke has the equivalent amount of caffeine as a cup of coffee.) I am addicted to the habit of hoping in my car every afternoon and rolling on through my friendly neighborhood McDonald’s, shooting the breeze with Nana and his buddies, catching a quick snack for the kids, and sipping that lovely fiz-tastic drink until I feel energized and ready for the rest of the day! It’s a routine. And then I pee a lot.

That’s why it’s been so hard to quit the juice. I have to quit a habit. And basically cut way back on a fun friendship. Nana, we have to break up! I convinced you to quit smoking and that was good. Now I have to quit the juice. Don’t cry! I have my reasons.

REASONS TO QUIT DRINKING DIET COKE: (click links for great articles)
Aspartame: Read this article on artificial sweeteners. Rocked my world.

No-calorie FATNESS: This drink makes my gutt look big. MUFFIN TOP.

Carbonation: Bloating? ph balance off? Yes and Yes.

Hyper-Aging: My skin is saggy and my body is flabby. This last 18 months has KILLED me.

Money: Spending $5 day at McD’s is dumb.

mcdonalds

Basically, I had finally read enough articles detailing reasons why this soda thing was harming me and not helping me in any way at all that I finally decided to give it up.

I believe my last drink was last Wednesday or so. It was a ROUGH weekend. I was very tired, had terrible headaches, no energy, etc. But guess what happened on both Sunday and Monday mornings?

I woke up.

Isn’t that great? I have always  been a morning person, but for the past 6 months or so, I have had the hardest time getting out of bed and feeling energetic in the mornings. Duh- my addiction to the cokey had me weighed down.

Oh, and I have also started to exercise almost daily. My food cravings are down, my energy is up, my self-control is up… I’ve lost 5 or so pounds. BOOM! 10 pounds to my goal weight!

All great reasons to stay away from the fizz.

What’s your fizz? Are you a fizz-lover? I know… me too.

widget_ccKyxLP01fsRJye8-YXERm

Erika @ EZsx5 March 21, 2011 at 1:21 pm

This was great!!! Good job!! At least your fizz was calorie free – well it had it downsides, but no calories. I LOVE their frappe's and now that it's getting warmer outside I want one every.single.day! This does not bode well with my 30 Day Shred and 1500 calorie diet. PS – I just ate a double cheeseburger, coke, and fries – althought delicious – I calculated the calories AFTER I consumed this deliciousness and it was 1040 calories – say wha?!?!?!??! Needless to say, I should have looked BEFORE and ate the oatmeal instead, because at 290 calories, let's face it – it is more delicious AND makes you feel fuller longer. Can we get a high five for those apples – mmmmmmmm!!!

seriouslyahomemaker March 21, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Big hi 5! And raisins? Hate em in cookies, love em in my oatmeal! U know,
the cals for the oatmeal used to be 240-250… sounds much better than that
290 u just quoted. Take it back! Ignorance is bliss!

miss frazzled March 21, 2011 at 3:09 pm

Good for you, Ang! I have been trying to get my mom to give up the Diet Coke for 20 years now. I seriously think is related to some of her health issues. Christopher has mostly given up soda, too, but he hates plain water, so I buy these 2 liters of flavored (but not sweetened) seltzer water from Publix for like 75 cents. They are an acquired taste but I like them now, especially mixed with a tiny bit of juice–bubbly and delicious.

Tammy March 21, 2011 at 3:39 pm

How awesome are you!? I just posted about how much I need my Diet Coke. Everything you said, though, makes sense! When I do quit drinking it, I feel so much better and eat better. Erika's double cheeseburger sounds sooo yummy! lol

Catherine March 21, 2011 at 4:16 pm

I'm not a soda drinker at all. Never have been. I just don't like. Especially cola. But drink addiction? I so know that. I need my warm cup of coffee every day. Like you and your diet coke It's not just that caffeine, it's the ritual. The warm cup, the smell, sitting still for a moment or two to enjoy those first few sips. I just can't quit you coffee! I'm proud you for kicking your habit!

Jewls1716 March 21, 2011 at 4:57 pm

Why? oh, why, did you have to leave me stranded all alone on our McD's Coke ISLAND?! Who shall I turn to when I need someone to just understand the need to hit the drive-through!? JK! In all seriousness, I am proud of you. I wish I had the will power to do it…maybe I will after reading those articles! Keep it up!!

Aimee March 21, 2011 at 5:22 pm

Yes, Yes, YES.

I am a former Coke addict, too. I knew it was horrible for me, I knew it was doing rotten things to my insides, but I just couldn't give it up. Until last September, when the very strict, doctor-led health plan I began forbid it. So I quit. It was rough for a short time, but now? I really don't want it. Sure, once a month or so, the craving will hit me, HARD, out of nowhere, but all I have to do is think about how easy it would be to become addicted again, and I can move past the craving very easily.

Congratulations! It's not an easy move, but it's the right choice.

Tawnyjeremy March 21, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Your awesome Ang! Your com'in to R/S to share your story on Sunday…right, i'm really not kidding? Its hard to kick bad habits, especially when your friend calls and offers to bring you some…(ma bad). You know what I think is interesting….as you gain more self-control on one area of your life, it seems to be easier to gain it in others—no diet coke = better eater = better exerciser = nicer mommy ….and so on and so forth! Love ya girl!

seriouslyahomemaker March 21, 2011 at 9:15 pm

So so true!

Andrea March 21, 2011 at 9:37 pm

i guess i should apologize for my role in the addiction! mcD's dr.Pepper got me through the sleepless first year, ain't no shame! now i just enjoy the occasional one but no diet or artificial sugars for me when i do indulge!

Andrea March 21, 2011 at 9:38 pm

sorry meant "sleepless first year of the baby #3!" in case you were wondering what the heck i was talking about!

Kyliabarabash March 21, 2011 at 9:38 pm

You are such a nut, Angie! I'm addicted to Seagram's Raspberry Ginger Ale…and it ain't calorie free! Don't worry, Target butted in and broke up THAT relationship…they quit ordering them. Jerks. :) Glad to hear you are on cloud 9 again!!!

Megan (Best of Fates) March 22, 2011 at 4:19 pm

Yeah… I've believed this lie too many times to fall for it again!

TheThriftress March 26, 2011 at 9:08 am

Girl you are so funny! My whole family, well my sister and all my girl cousins, only like Fountain Diet Coke. We call it FDC for short. You can find us all on Facebook late at night crying for an FDC – it's how we know we are all related!
Sarah

Jennifer Nace April 16, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Ok, so… Looking at the date of this post, are you still off the fizz? This is something that has been on my mind quite a bit lately. I drink a lot of pop. A LOT.  Mostly Diet Pepsi… but Diet Mt. Dew also.
I'm seriously a Diet Pepsi Junkie. It's got to end! I'll drink 6 cans or more a day!

seriouslyahomemaker April 18, 2012 at 7:23 am

ok, so… i am going back and following you around my blog and answering all your comments :-) I am so very much STILL on the fizz. I can't quit it. I've tried 3 times since i wrote this post. I have no power to resist! Especially since the McD's by my house is only charging $1/any size for March and April… not that i won't go back to paying $1.69/large come May. But seriously, I need to quit this thing. It can't be good for me. Duh. It's not. Who are we kidding?

Jenn May 31, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Well that’s just craptastic. I thought you were going to tell me that you quit and never looked back and that it was super duper easy and that I could do it too, LOL! Ack!
Jenn recently posted..GIVEAWAY!!! Doodles & NotecardsMy Profile

Angie May 31, 2012 at 2:25 pm

no. i am chugging it like a crack/cocaine addicted mess-of-a-person!!! help me!