Turquoise Girls Bedroom Make-Over

by Angie on October 27, 2010

Her: Whine. Whine. Whine. “Mom, you are always doing projects in other rooms, but never in mine. When? When? When?”

Me: “After. After. After. Before your birthday.” (Thinking: dang, why did I just say that?!)

The Manchild, last Saturday Morning: “Hey, little lady, let’s buy the paint for your room and paint as much of it as we can today.”

Her: “Yay!”

Me: “WHAT?!!!!” {gulp.}

Her: “Pink and Black. And Electric Green!”

Me: “I’ll give you my iPod shuffle if you let me paint your room turquoise.”

Her: “DEAL!”

The Manchild: “I can’t believe you just bribed her into painting HER room YOUR favorite color.”

Me: “I know. I have problems. What are you going to do about it?”

BEFORE:

IMG_0159

AFTER:

IMG_0222

It’s freakin’ awesome. You can say it.

Except that the curtains aren’t done yet. They won’t be print on the left, solid pink on the right. I will use both fabrics together to make cute curtains. For now, they are just tucked up there on the curtain rod and clipped with Elmo hair clips! She loves them like that. :-)

The paint is Behr Ultra Premium paint+primer in 520-7 Mosaic Tile. It is rich and saturated and just an awesome color. I am in “mamby pamby land” about it. Name that commercial.

BEFORE:

IMG_0178

She’s got a point. It was pretty drab in there. But we love that quilt Grandma made her for her 8th birthday. LOVE it. It is now the extra layer/cocoon yourself on the couch quilt for her.

framed chalkboard wall

I had planned a full chalkboard wall there, but the black was overbearing, especially at night. So, I stole some wood (1×4’s?) from the garage and whipped up a big frame for a chalkboard that is perfect for her height. Then I created 3 smaller chalkboards way above where she can reach. Those are for The Manchild and I to write notes to her in. LOVE THOSE.

chalkboard wall in progress

See the mid-point in my design re-thinking?

chalkboard wall in progress 2

Much better, already, right?

Another BEFORE:

IMG_0162

She called that little cove in the back of her room “Pet Land.” She pet-sat for the neighbors back there. Except that the pets were stuffed animals and the neighbors were her brother, sister, and herself. :-)

AFTER:

turquoise girls room desk area 2

I had purchased several white cabinet doors from Ikea a few months ago, not knowing what I would end up doing with them. I was so glad I had them this week! I attached them to the wall with my nail gun and then hot glued some binder clips to them, so that she can hang her own artwork, assignments, magazine cut-outs etc. on them. She used to tape those kinds of things all over her walls and on the outside of her door. THIS IS MUCH BETTER!

IMG_0240

The lamp is from Ikea. $13 for the shade. $5 for the blue cord kit. $5? for a dimmer switch that is tacked to her desktop. All I see in these pictures is that dang cord hanging out like a sore thumb, but at least it’s blue and she thinks it’s cool. Thumbs up!

IMG_0223

I also already had on hand the corkboard tiles. I think we bought them for The Manchild’s office at one point, and then he brought them back home, because his work friends were jealous. Probably. Not sure of the details there.

The polka-dot rectangles are actually “cord covers” from the clearance section at Ikea. I bought them when I thought I might actually use them as cord covers. Silly Silly! I just took half a beach towel (that I had already cut up) and covered them up, using hot glue. Then, once again, I nail-gunned them to the wall.

IMG_0242

See that desk? Made it.

Nightstand + extra table legs in the basement (don’t you have those lying around?) + large Ikea cabinet door ($1.99) + miter saw + nail gun = 20 minute desk.

IMG_0197

Also = no more eraser shavings ON HER BED. The kid never stops writing. And erasing.

IMG_0243

I did not and do not plan to touch up the paint chips that I created when I nailed the heck out of the table. Because you are not the boss of me and I don’t give a care! It is for my daughter and she is going to beat that table up with all the love she’s got. I just got the first whack at it!

BEFORE:

IMG_0181

A dresser full of “important stuff.” One perk of redecorating your hoarder’s room? The ability to throw almost everything away without her noticing! Actually, I gutted her closet (ouch) and was able to store/display a lot of that stuff in there.

AFTER:

IMG_0232

Much mo’ betta. I plan to do some twin artwork pieces on either side of the vanity. Not sure what yet. Probably pictures of The Manchild and I doing gymnastics moves in our snow boots. Or something like that. IMG_0231

Can I tell you how much I MUST love her for buying fabric with dogs on it? It was all for her. All for love. All for the love of wiener dogs.

The COOLEST part of this remodeling project was that it took me 1 week, start to finish. I owe it to The Manchild for pushing me into starting this project when I did. He does that well for me sometimes. He throws me into something that I have only spent 8 months thinking about (as opposed to the 12 months I usually stew over something) and that ends up being awesome. I owe the fast progress to the baby who SLEEPS so well during sissy’s preschool hours. And to having a TON of someday junk in the basement.

Now all of us want to be in her room all the time. And she kinda doesn’t mind it, which is neat. She is happier and more studious (desk?) and she spends lots of time in there, slowly turning into a teenager. {shudder!}

Brother and Sister: “When are you going to do OUR room?! This isn’t fair!”

The Manchild: “Our room needs help.”

Me: “Hey look at that! A wiener dog!” (and like THAT I am nowhere to be found)

Actually, I am in the bathroom, washing paint off the baby… again.

IMG_0191
IMG_0193

Stinker.

Bobbie - Clumsycrafter October 27, 2010 at 1:10 pm

I buy random cabinet doors from Ikea too. and I bribe my kids. my daughter wants a pink room. She keeps telling me her yellow one is ugly.

seriouslyahomemaker October 27, 2010 at 1:10 pm

pink is the stink. i just kept thinking that a year from now she would be telling me that she doesn't like pink anymore. that its too girlie. good thing she loves the turq. she has good tastes!

Juanita October 27, 2010 at 1:10 pm

so totally adorable..I love the new look. And that is so neat that you and Manchild use the chalkboard to write notes!! Very cool idea!!

amelie522 October 27, 2010 at 1:11 pm

Okay, can I tell you how freakin' impressed I am with your DIY skills right now?? That room is UH-MAZ-ING! Please come to my house before this child arrives and help me with my living room…and my office which we're turning into the third bedroom….and the kitchen….

When will I see you again, my dear? Are you planning on going to any conferences in the near future?

Breezyhess October 27, 2010 at 1:30 pm

I love it! Do you remember Sissy's room is turq? It is such a cool color for a girls room that they can grow into and not be too girly! You really did it this time. They say that you should keep your decorating as constistant as possible throughout the house and with this you have done that. (Sissy's room is like a sore thumb but a refreshing a fun sore thumb. I can't wait to make crib stuff to match for lil sis) :) Anyways. I also loved the picture of your entry way with the turq. in there I had never seen it up until a couple of posts ago. SUPER CUTE! Oh BTW you know you could get a pup to matchthe curtains… that would really bring it all together. :p

Sorensonfamily October 27, 2010 at 1:30 pm

Angie, When are you gonna come visit here! My girls are in a tangerine orange room. And the oldest boy is in a pink and purple bedroom. I just don't wanna do it. So when can we fly you down?;0

Lauren October 27, 2010 at 1:45 pm

I'm am incredibly impressed. The way you used the cabinet doors is genius. Of course, you've always had that rare combination of super-intelligence and craftiness. I wish you'd redo my, er, my daughter's bedroom. ;)

Maybe you can start a design consulting biz when the kids get older… I'd pay you.

seriouslyahomemaker October 27, 2010 at 1:46 pm

it really would be so fun to swing by your place and whip up some fun! i dunno about conferences. considering BBC Boston in may and really want to go to blissdom. but maybe none?? how about u?

seriouslyahomemaker October 27, 2010 at 1:46 pm

I DO remember that sissy's room is turquoise too! samantha reminded me of it. i am flattered that you like it. i really had fun in there. the problem is that the other bedroom really needs a fun color now, because it looks SO lame in comparison and RIGHT next door.

how are you feeling?

seriouslyahomemaker October 27, 2010 at 1:46 pm

i am free next weekend! let's do it! NOT. :-)

seriouslyahomemaker October 27, 2010 at 1:46 pm

you flatter me too much! i had so much fun in there.

and i am going to start a design consulting business called "Lauren Said She Pay Me" and see how it works out.

i am dying to see your halloween pictures, lorna may!

Catherine October 27, 2010 at 1:46 pm

WOW! Her room looks awesome. I'm impressed with your super-duper skills!

Dishes_Laundry October 27, 2010 at 1:58 pm

Love it! It turned out well. I especially like the desk/study corner.

Breezyhess October 27, 2010 at 2:40 pm

Feeling okay… but trying to feel better. I was feeling really good for a while, so lets go back to that time. I was doing great! lol Saw the fabric for the quilt your Mom is making for Big Bro. You will have a lot of fun colors to choose from that will go with your decor. So exciting! I wanna do more for the girls room, but the boys' need something first. Ours needs done but I'm not touching it til I know where I wanna go w/ it. Have fun!

CloneMama October 27, 2010 at 3:48 pm

wanna help me organize my rental while the bigs are at school??? You rock so hard.

seriouslyahomemaker October 27, 2010 at 8:33 pm

if you could only see the craziness that is my family room right now you would not be asking for my help. and that spills into the front room. STUFF! i am a prisoner to projects!

but i could defs come over and boss you around! i love to tell OTHER people how to fix their junk. :-)

seriouslyahomemaker October 27, 2010 at 8:34 pm

me too! thx

Kirsty October 27, 2010 at 10:33 pm

Gorgeous! I love it.

Emmy October 28, 2010 at 4:39 pm

Great job! Seriously so cute. And yes the chalk board wall is much better as you changed it

Carabee October 28, 2010 at 9:24 pm

That is so awesome! I love all the extra touches, like the lamp and the chalkboard frames and the dog curtains. You're so creative!

BrookeDS October 29, 2010 at 2:45 pm

I found you through Coma Girl's Friday Faves. The room looks great and KUDOS on winning the anti-pink battle!

Lifewithoutpink October 30, 2010 at 9:44 pm

Love love love that color!!!! You did a fantastic job, can you come decorate my house?

Leahbutterfly1978 November 3, 2010 at 7:57 pm